Friday, January 29, 2010

World Qualifier in Calgary


My trip to Calgary was both stressful and successful. Only stressful due to the fact that I had to fly from Milwaukee to Dallas to Calgary...Not fun when it feels like a trip to europe. However, I did get plenty of sleep and I was with my Trevor.
The qualifier is a regional competition betweeen Canada, Austrailia, New Zealand and the U.S.A. The top 6 placements of a combined total points from 4 races-500m, 1500m, 3k and 5k head off to the World Allaround Championships. In Holland, it is THE race to win. I'm glad to say that I met my goal of breaking up the podium (usually consisting of all Canadians) and took a solid 3rd place.
I'm very happy with the racing since I just came off of a dreadful 2 weeks of training and it is the first full competition since my mom passed. I must say I was worried about performing under such stressful circumstances with all that has happened in the last month. In my eyes, I passed the test.
Trevor qualified as well with a hard earned 1st place! It came down to the last race, the 10k, having to beat his pair. I think he just likes to keep me on my toes and hear me scream over the pads...
For now, I look ahead to the Olympics and even further ahead to skate at the end of March for the World Allarounds. While I was competing over the weekend I kept wondering "why I should be so thrilled to endure another 3 weeks after the biggest race of my life, the Olympics"? Crazy. I'll be lucky if I remember to turn left.

No comments:

Post a Comment